Reviews For Nine Years
Name: elliotrosewater (Signed) · Date: October 11, 2011 03:29 am · For: Chapter 10
Here is a short list of some things I liked:
1. A four voice fugue on the violin. OMG. I am trying to imagine that and I can’t and yet,
2. The artistic process of writing plays. Theatre des Vampires is fascinating in terms of its artistry. So many layers of performance and intrigue, and you’re drawing it out well in a way that’s interesting for me to read about. It makes me want to attend some of these performances.
3. How the loss of harmony is also the loss of fundamentalism, and that’s interesting in the context of the characters but also the suppositions that the books make about the changing world. The critique of the New Man, you know? Individualist. And yet, what was the alternative? Feudalism? (Or fundamentalism?)
4. The fact that Nicki is still fucked up about hanging around underground thanks to being imprisoned there. In fact, Nicki in general. His prickly craziness really works for me.
5. Everything with Iseult. It makes me think of one of the better Sylvia Plath poem – the horror of femininity, I am a melon strolling on two tendrils, et cetera. I feel for her. I feel for Eleni too, of course (but I don’t worry about her. She will process things in due time).
6. Nicki again. Oh dude, you’re not messed up because of Lestat. Well, you kind of are. But I’d say it’s the combination of him having left you with no warning, followed by being locked up and tortured by the coven. That’ll do it every time. Yet, I completely believe that that is how he’d see it. Also, I lol’d at: ‘Oh, Nicki, everyone is going to die, carry me home, I am too too sad to walk.’
7. Oh yes, Eleni’s right: also, chronic depression.
8. Ooo! Armand is going to write a play!
9. And… wow, it’s an amazingly, catastrophically horrible (but brilliant) one. He really has a thing for putting heads back on bodies, non?
10. And cutting off hands, even though I knew that was coming.
11. The ending is exciting. I’m more convinced than ever that Eleni’s adventures would make amazing comics. Wouldn’t Nicki be a good comic character too? All surly. If Eleni was in comics, it would be awesome, and if most of her love relationships were with women, like they are here, that would be awesome too. I wish I could draw comics of that kind, with heroes.
That's the short list.
Author's Response: Oh babe. That's the short list? You have completely made my day. Or week. Thank you so much. <3 A couple little notes - Heads and bodies - I'm inclined to think that Armand made up that stuff about Claudia just to squick David out. And possibly as a typically passive aggressive way of getting back at Louis, who will likely read the book. But he certainly has experience to draw on... And do you realize you are making me want those comics SO SO SO BAD? You are killing me!
Name: elliotrosewater (Signed) · Date: October 11, 2011 02:41 am · For: Chapter 1
I should wait to comment until I've read more, but I'm so glad this story exists!
Name: Witchy Tay (Signed) · Date: April 01, 2011 12:18 pm · For: Chapter 1
Great story!!! very well thought!! I enjoyed it very much, Thank you!
Author's Response: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :)